Pub quiz nights have become a popular pastime for people looking to socialize, have fun, and test their knowledge. Whether you’re a seasoned pub quizzer or a newcomer, it’s always helpful to have some essential facts at your fingertips to help you win the game. Here are ten must-know facts that could give you the edge at your next pub quiz night.
- The largest ocean on Earth is the Pacific Ocean, covering an area of 63.8 million square miles. It’s also home to the world’s deepest point, the Mariana Trench, which measures 36,070 feet.
- The human body is made up of about 60% water, and it takes around 8 glasses of water per day to stay hydrated. The average adult human body contains enough fat to make 7 bars of soap.
- The country with the highest population in the world is China, with over 1.4 billion people. India is a close second, with a population of over 1.3 billion people.
- The Great Barrier Reef, located off the coast of Australia, is the largest coral reef system in the world. It spans over 1,400 miles and is home to thousands of species of marine life.
- The first successful airplane flight was achieved by the Wright Brothers on December 17, 1903, in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Their flight lasted for only 12 seconds, but it changed the world forever.
- The world’s largest desert is the Antarctic Desert, covering an area of over 5.5 million square miles. It’s also the coldest and driest desert on Earth.
- The highest mountain in the world is Mount Everest, located in the Himalayas. It measures 29,029 feet and is named after Sir George Everest, a British surveyor who never actually saw the mountain.
- The longest river in the world is the Nile River, stretching over 4,100 miles through eleven African countries. It’s also considered the birthplace of civilization, with ancient Egypt developing along its banks.
- The Mona Lisa, a painting by Leonardo da Vinci, is one of the most famous works of art in the world. It’s estimated to be worth over $800 million and is housed in the Louvre Museum in Paris.
- The first moon landing took place on July 20, 1969, when American astronaut Neil Armstrong became the first human to step foot on the moon. He famously declared, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”
In conclusion, having a broad knowledge of different topics can greatly increase your chances of success at a pub quiz night. By keeping these ten must-know facts in mind, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a pub quiz champion. So, brush up on your trivia and get ready to impress your friends with your newfound knowledge.