5 Ways to Sneak in Exercises Throughout Your Day
In today’s fast-paced world, it’s often tough to find time for physical activities. With our busy schedules, we tend to prioritize work and home responsibilities at the expense of our health. However, staying healthy and physically active is crucial for our overall well-being. Exercise helps us maintain a healthy weight, decreases the risk of certain chronic illnesses, and boosts our mood. So, how do we stay active on days when we barely have time to stop and catch a breath? Here are five ways to sneak in exercises throughout your day:
Exercise at Your Desk
Sitting at a desk for long hours can cause harm to our bodies. One way to combat this is to take a break and move your body. Here are some exercises you can do without leaving your desk:
- Desk push-ups: Position yourself in front of your desk and lean forward with your hands on the desk. Lower your body towards the desk, like you would in a regular push-up motion.
- Shoulder rolls: Lift and rotate your shoulders in a circular motion.
- Leg extensions: While seated, straighten one leg at a time and hold it for five seconds. Alternate between legs.
- These desk exercises may seem simple, but they can improve circulation, reduce stiff joints and muscles, and create an energy boost.
Exercise During Commute
Most people tend to spend a considerable amount of time commuting to work or school. Instead of sitting throughout the entire commute, use this opportunity to do some exercises. Here are some ideas:
- Walk or bike to work: If you live relatively close to your workplace or school, consider walking or biking instead of using motorized transportation.
- Calf raises: While waiting for your train or bus, try standing on the balls of your feet and rising up and down.
- Tightening core muscles: When sitting, try tightening your abs and hold for ten seconds.
Exercise During Breaks
Short breaks throughout your day are great for clearing your mind and renewing energy levels. To get the best out of your break time, try incorporating a few physical activities to keep you moving. Here are some suggestions:
- Take a walk: Instead of sitting at your desk during your break, take a brisk walk to stretch your muscles.
- Squats: While waiting at the printer or water station, try doing some squats.
- Jumping jacks: Jumping jacks are a great way to boost your heart rate. Do as many as you can during a five-minute break.
Exercise While Watching TV
Many people find themselves loafing in front of the television after a long day at work or school. However, don’t let that be your excuse to skip exercise. While watching TV, try some of these exercising ideas:
- Stretching: Stretching is an excellent way to relax your muscles. Every time there is a commercial break, get up and stretch your arms and legs.
- Weightlifting: You can perform weightlifting exercises while watching TV. Use your weights and lift them during commercials.
- Push-ups: During commercial breaks, drop to the floor in push-up positions and perform as many as you can.
Exercise While Doing House Chores
House chores may not seem like exercises, but they can be great opportunities to sneak in a workout. Here are some examples:
- Vacuum lunges: Vacuuming can be a great way to get in a workout. While vacuuming, try lunging as you move back and forth.
- Broomstick twists: Hold a broomstick horizontally behind your neck, and twist your torso from side to side.
- Dishtowel curls: Replace weights with dish towels or hand towels and perform curl exercises while drying dishes or doing laundry.